Blender 4.0 was a major release that was released on November 14, 2023. It was the first release of Blender in the 4.x series, and it brought a number of new features and improvements.
- New Principled BSDF shader: The Principled BSDF shader is a physically based shader that was designed to be the most versatile and accurate shader in Blender.
- AgX view transform for improved color handling: The AgX view transform is a new color management system that is designed to provide more accurate and consistent color representation.
- Light linking in Cycles: Light linking allows you to control which lights affect which objects in your scene. This can be useful for creating realistic lighting effects and for reducing rendering times.
- Node Tools, powered by Geometry Nodes: Node Tools are a new type of node that allows you to create custom tools for Blender. They are powered by Geometry Nodes, a new node-based system for creating procedural geometry.
- Repeat zones in Geometry Nodes: Repeat zones are a new type of node that allows you to create repeating patterns of geometry. This can be useful for creating textures, railings, and other repetitive elements.
- New Snap Base for improved placement and transform workflows: The Snap Base is a new feature that allows you to snap objects to a specific location or orientation. This can be helpful for placing objects precisely and for transforming them consistently.
- “Type to search” and various UI improvements: Blender 4.0 includes a number of UI improvements, including a new default font, a new “Type to search” feature, and improved menus and toolbars.
- New animation curve editing operators: Blender 4.0 includes new animation curve editing operators that make it easier to edit animation curves.
- Bone collections: Blender 4.0 includes bone collections, which are a new way of organizing bones in armatures. This can be useful for managing complex armatures and for creating more reusable rigs.
Other bug fixes and improvements:
- Numerous bug fixes in various areas of the software.
- Improved performance in some areas.
- Updated documentation.
Overall, Blender 4.0 was a significant release that brought a number of new features and improvements. It is a powerful and versatile tool that is well-suited for a wide range of creative applications.